Saturday, June 18, 2011

Christian Worship in a Masjid?

Yesterday, as an activity of our "Building Hope" Conference, I attended Friday prayers at the New Haven masjid. The speaker was one of our participants, Chaplain Dawood from Dartmouth. I appreciated his message. He was articulate, intermingling Arabic (Qur'anic quotes, Hadith, and Arabic expressions) with English. He had a several point message, focused on 10 things people can do in a minute, to stop and focus on God, to keep from getting too caught up in the busy-ness which afflicts us in modern America.

I was struck by the fact that if you took out the Islamic references and Arabic, and transposed the specific content from an Islamic framework to a Biblical one, you could give the message in a church. The issues are the same - how can we remember and keep focused on God, in the midst of a busy daily life? How can we stir our hearts, strengthen our faith, stay "warm" toward God?

Chaplain/Imam Dawood connected with his audience, and he connected with me. I found myself praying as he spoke, asking God to help me (through Jesus) to apply the points he was encouraging us to (in my faith context, my relationship with Jesus).

It is an interesting experience, trying to enter into and understand another faith context, on its own terms, but at the same time, finding a personal connection, bringing something back into my context, and receiving personal benefit.

I felt, as I left the masjid, that I had worshiped and fellowshiped with God.

1 comment:

  1. Your post struck me in how often times our (Protestant/Evangelical) worship services are not Christ centered, but on how to be a better you. I have been blessed in the latest church I have been attending where the message of the Hope of the resurrection is preached every week.

    ReplyDelete